Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Easy Knot Dress Tutorial

These are the cutest dresses (see one of my first ones here), especially when you get to go and pick out the cutest fabrics (there are so many to choose from)! I need more girls to make these for, Kate can't wear them all. I thought I'd write up a tutorial and share it with you. They are very simple, and you could make one in about 2 hours. First start out with 1/3 yard of 3 coordinating fabrics (Note, make sure it's a generous 1/3 to allow for squaring the fabric and bows of course!)

Create a template for the chest piece as shown above. I measured Kate around her chest, add about 1.5", and divided by four for the bottom measurement. You'll notice it's also slightly curved. Lay your pattern on the fold and cut four pieces (1 front, 1 back, 1 inside front, 1 inside back).
Sew the short edges together using a 1/2" seam.
Be sure to always square your fabric before cutting pieces. Cut the straps and the binding. The straps are about 12" x 3.5" each. The binding is 7" by 21" (2 pieces).
Pin the straps along the long edge and sew one short edge and the long edge using about 1/4" seam. Pin the short edges of the binding together and sew using a 1/2" seam.
Clip the corners (it will lay flatter this way).
Flip the straps inside out, pin and press flat.
Pin both chest pieces right sides together. Don't forget to add the straps, you want them about 3/8" from the corner. Sew around the top using 1/2" seam.
Cut the skirt. I used two pieces at about 10" by 21".


Using a large stitch, sew around the top of the skirt at 1/4" and 3/4". Leave long tails. This will help you to gather the skirt. Then pin the short sides together and sew using a 1/2" seam. Zig zag the edge of the seam as well to prevent fraying.

Now press the edges of the binding under about 1/2".
Fold in (almost) half so that there is an 1/8" gap between the folded edges and press.


Pin the bottom binding on to the skirt (overlap the skirt about 1/2"), lining up the seams and top stitch all around. Gather the skirt by pulling the two large stitch seams you made earlier. Then pin it like crazy to the chest piece of the dress. Make sure to line up your seams first, then the centers, then work your way around. Sew the skirt to the top using a 1/2" seam.

Sew large ric rac on the bottom edge and around the waist at the seam (be sure to not sew the lining of the chest piece, you'll hand stitch that down in the next step).
Fold bottom edge in about 1/2", pin, and whip stitch by hand. This will give you a nice finished edge.
Mark the holes (to slip the straps through) and sew a button hole on each side. Slip the straps through the holes and tie a knot. You're done!
Make sure you send me a link to your creations, I want to see them!

1 comment:

Tyler and Brooke said...

Just as simple as that huh!? I'll let you know when I have developed the skill to sew...hmm... on second thought.......You are amazing, how fun that you can make such cute things - I'm flabergasted at your creativeness. You should sell them at a boutique!!