Saturday, April 2, 2011

Bad news

It's been a tough week for my family. My dad lost his voice about 4 weeks ago. We first thought it was from a bad cold he had caught, then maybe acid reflux causing swelling. He went in for a scan last Friday, and the Dr.'s called Monday morning to get him in for a scope to get a better look. The believed the cancer was back, and it is. He's had various tests this past week and we get bad news over and over. First the cancer is back, then a stay overnight in the hospital because he aspirated during the scope, and now the cancer is possibly in another spot so more tests to follow. The cancerous node is pushing so much on his trachea that the Dr. is afraid it will collapse, and so he will be getting a stint this week. Without treatment, 5-6 months, with, maybe 11.

We always knew that the chances of it coming back were 85%, but this happened so fast. Now we're waiting for the next test, discussing treatment or no treatment, planning trips, filling out living wills, and planning for what may lie ahead. A million thoughts running through all our heads. No one should have to go through this. It's such a strange feeling planning for this.

I'm so thankful for such supportive family and friends, even though they make me cry with their loving words and actions, it's a good cry. This is the only way we'll get through this. And I'm especially thankful for all of my dad's friends. He has such good friends that care so much for him.


Please keep him in your prayers.

6 comments:

Pugs said...

Our prayers are with you. I hope for comfort and peace for all of the family. It sucks and it is hard! Find comfort in the simple truths of the gospel and be strong. Your family will need your strength and testimony. Love you!

Our Adventures in Life said...

Just know that you can call us at anytime. I might not be much help but I'm a good listener.

Love you guy's
Big Nic out!

Brooke said...

You have such an awesome dad who has touched so many peoples lives with his generosity and humor! We always have your family in our prayers. We love you guys so much.

Beth and Poasa said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Tyler and Brooke said...

So sorry that you are having to deal with all this right now. I love you and your family. You are in our prayers. I hope you find courage and comfort during this hard time and also know its ok to cry and scream because its just not fair. LOVES

RP said...

Erin-- I haven't checked your blog in forever and just did-- I am so sorry about your Dad! Please know he and all of you are in our prayers-- Let me know if you need anything!

Amy